Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Thought on Classroom Blogs...

This was a thought that just popped into my head...

A great feature that I have used often (on both this blog and my person blog) is the scheduled post.  Now, I'm not sure if other blog sites have this feature, but Blogger allows the user to write a complete post, but rather than publish it immediately, it can be scheduled to "air" at a specific date and time.

An example:

A teacher uses a blog in his classroom as a Do Now for the start of class.  He's not an early bird and is usually frazzled in the morning getting ready, commuting to school, and prepping for his classes that day.  He does not have to think about writing and posting a Do Now for the first period class because it is scheduled to post automatically at one minute before the class begins.  This way, students can log onto their computers as soon as they get into class and comment/write reflections/whatever the assignment is.  And if he has a separate blog for each class, each one can automatically be updated just before class starts.

For me, this has been a great feature to save some time.  On my personal blog, I don't like to post more than once a day.  The result would be about 15 posts today, and then non for another 2 months.  So if my posts aren't time-sensitive (book reviews or just little blurbs), I schedule them to be published for when I have no other updates to share.  I haven't actually updated my personal blog since September because of so many other commitments these past few months, but once I get back into it, I'll definitely be using it again.

I just wanted to share this idea with anyone else who is thinking about using a blog (specifically Blogger) in the classroom.  Does anyone know if any of the other blogging sites do this too?

No comments:

Post a Comment